PS3: Cross-Game Chat Is Never Coming

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Dusean17, Aug 21, 2011.

• Regular Joe

Dusean17 Ultimate Gaming Master

Message Count:
    vBux:
    ⌂331

Register to remove this ad, it's free!
    For years, PlayStation 3 players have been begging for cross-game chat -- the ability for players to be in separate games and still talk to each other using the PS3 console. Sony has now confirmed that feature will never come to the system.
    [font="'Helvetica Neue"]
    [/font]
    The news comes from a Eurogamer interview with Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida. Apparently, the PS3's RAM is used by the game the system is running. Because of that, the console can't support cross-game chat like the Xbox 360
    The cross-game chat argument has been rekindled since Sony announced that the PlayStation Vita -- the company's next handheld video system -- will support cross-game chat. Eurogamer points out that the Vita actually has more RAM than the PS3 -- 512MB of RAM and 128MB of V-RAM compared to the PS3's 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM.

[font="'Helvetica Neue"]via PS3.IGN Live Commentary[/font]
    • Regular Joe

critter505 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    vBux:
    ⌂391
    Not really a huge deal for me, I've been gaming just fine w/o it for years now. Besides, when I'm on my 360, I hate trying to play Halo, or COD while one of my friends is talking about another game. Too distracting. Plus, when you're on a team with people in private chats, you can't coordinate with them, and that causes the lose...[IMG]
    • Regular Joe

bankston13 Lamina Dominum

Message Count:
    vBux:
    ⌂1,835
    PSN ID:
    Noctis_the_King
    It can get kind of annoying after awhile, but its still pretty negative for Sony because their system "can't" support it while the 360 does fine. It's a little sad really
    • Regular Joe

critter505 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    vBux:
    ⌂391
    That's not exactly how it works. If you read it a little closer, you would have seen that it would not do it, not it can't do it. The design of the machine is to give power where power is needed 1st. The guy in the video misspoke when he said "can't".[IMG]
    • Regular Joe

bankston13 Lamina Dominum

Message Count:
    vBux:
    ⌂1,835
    PSN ID:
    Noctis_the_King
    I see where you're getting at critter. That makes a little more sense
    • Regular Joe

PatrickEsdam Vita Crazy

Message Count:
    vBux: