Urban Trial Freestyle Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by teflontactics, Mar 15, 2013.

1. teflontactics

teflontactics Respected poster

[​IMG]

I have to admit; when I first saw this game I was quite skeptical of how good it would be. I watched some game play video from the HD versions, and heard people explain it… it made me not want to like it. It seemed to simple, and too easy to be fun; but I was wrong – and here’s why.

Urban Trials Freestyle is a game - not about fancy X-games style “no-handers”, or Jackass-inspired “supermans” - but the difficult journey that a trials rider would face on an urban rampage. This game is about speed, precision and taking trial bikes to places they’d never normally go. The demo is not a good representation of the game, other than maybe the graphics and control scheme. I breezed through it in about five minutes and thought; was that it? The full game ended up surprising me, offering much more challenging and expansive content (though it still isn’t enough, haha).

[​IMG]

In the main “Play Game” mode (we’ll be calling it “career mode” for clarity’s sake from here on in) there are eight different levels per each of the five locations, not counting the training levels which allow you to get your bearings before you start the game. In each of the different levels in career mode you must collect up to $500 in cash-bags scattered over the level, and complete either a time trial or precision trial to earn a rating out of five stars. Getting enough stars, you can unlock the next level or levels, and that allows you to progress through the locations. The money, however; allows you to upgrade your bike parts and allows you to more easily obtain stars in later levels. If you stay stock – you’re going to have a problem.

[​IMG]

The “Challenges” mode has you competing in a bunch of insane trials only fit for video game riders. An example of an available challenge is keeping balance on top of a giant tube, rolling it on a track with the torque of your bike. It’s not as easy as it sounds, as going too fast or slow will cause you to fall to your death and the track isn’t exactly straight (read: sometimes you have to go faster or slower or you’ll fly off). Using as steady of a hand as you can muster, you try to get as far as you can to set the record. There are five other unique challenges to entertain and provide some variation, and some of them are pretty fun.

[​IMG]

There are also the customization options for your character and bikes, allowing for a range of upgrades to compliment your unique riding style and personality. On the character side, you can customize helmets, shirts, pants, shoes, and gloves; there are six options for each, making for quite a bit of variation. On the bike upgrade side of things, there are three main options; engine chassis and tires. These upgrades have three main areas that are affected; top speed, acceleration and handling (control) – all of which are effected differently by the parts you choose.

The graphics on this game are fitting, and well done for what they are. It’s a scrolling environment with a 3D background. The physics and sharpness of picture make the graphics in the foreground stand out, as you flip over exploding cars and launch off speeding train cars, though a lack of anti-aliasing can be off-putting as there are ‘jaggies’ in areas. Though it’s no MX vs ATV or MUD it does motocross well in a side-scrolling, physics-enhanced, 3D environment. Aside from a few concessions this game looks almost pretty on the Vita’s screen.

The sound in the game is limited, but doesn’t get annoying or bothersome at all. The engine noise is a good way to gauge some jumps and obstacle speed, and the background music isn’t too invasive. The only way it could be better is if they had some licensed music – which would drive the price up.

The game is worth the $10 they’re charging in North America. With the combination of customization elements (as basic as they are), and the decent level of difficulty (those 5-star ratings and money bags are hard to get), this game will have you playing for a little while if you’re looking to 100% it.

There are no real flaws, per-say; but there are ways this game could be better. The inclusion of basic tricks would make the game more appealing, and the game isn’t long enough. Some DLC perhaps, Tate? We’d appreciate it, especially if it’s cheap. The other slight downside is the lack of multiplayer, and limited replay-ability after collecting all the trophies - the leader boards are only so much incentive.

I’m giving Urban Trial Freestyle a 7.5/10.

-

Bonus:

[​IMG]

See that silhouette in the top left? Touch "Picture" and you can snap a shot of yourself to share on the leaderboards.
  2. FrodoUK

FrodoUK I'm Batman

Nice review - 100% agree with you.

I'm hoping for some cheap (read: free) DLC soon.
  3. teflontactics

teflontactics Respected poster

Even if it was cheap as in $1 or $2 I'd buy it - it'd be worth it to have the extra tracks or challenges.